What’s Your Hot Take?

A hot take is, according to Oxford Languages, “a piece of commentary, typically produced quickly in response to a recent event, whose primary purpose is to attract attention.” Hot takes can range from any topic, like sports or favorite food. The key component to a “good” hot take is whether it’s popular, controversial and discussable. Over the past few weeks, we asked teachers to post a Google Form titled “Hot Takes” on their Google Classroom to have students submit their responses.

Q: What are your thoughts about pineapple on pizza?

The most popular hot take of all is whether or not pineapple deserves to be on pizza.

A: Pineapple adds a sweet taste to pizza that many people dislike, but to the Huskies, 52.4% say pineapple on pizza is delicious. 

Q: Which is better, pancakes, waffles or french toast?

Although the most common question is whether pancakes are better than waffles, we decided to add another breakfast option that deserves some spotlight. 

A: Surprisingly, pancakes earned 23.8% of the votes, receiving the least votes. Both waffles and french toast tied in receiving 38.1% of the votes and are the more popular breakfast options.

Q: Do you use Spotify or Apple Music?

As streaming services become popularized, shows and movies aren’t the only forms of entertainment available through apps on mobile devices. Music has been and continues to be available for stream. Both Spotify and Apple Music serve the same function of allowing people to listen to music whenever they want. Although some people are loyal to one more than the other.

A: According to the data, 75% of the students use Spotify with the remaining using Apple Music. 

Q: What are your thoughts on Harry Styles’ music?

No longer part of the band One Direction, Harry Styles continues making music as a solo artist with even his newest album, “Harry’s House,” having overwhelming positive feedback. But what are the students’ thoughts about Styles’ music? 

A: The data shows 52.4% of students find Harry Styles’s music unsatisfactory.

Q: What about Ed Sheeran?

Riding the flow of music-related hot takes, what is the Huskies’ consensus for Ed Sheeran? Ed Sheeran is a popular music artist composing many songs while also having a renowned collection of songs himself.

A: Despite Sheeran’s popularity globally, 52.4% of students disagree with his global popularity.

Q: What is the most boring sport to watch?

Sports is another category for many hot takes to be spawned, if anything, the term “hot take” was coined to debate sports.

A: The answer is golf with 71.4% of students agreeing that golf is the most boring sport.

So there it is Huskies, those were some of the student’s hot takes on some of the more popular topics.