The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

Spring Starbucks Season

Starbucks
The new spicy drinks from Starbucks. Flavors are Spicy Dragonfruit Lemonade Refresher, Spicy Strawberry Lemonade Refresher, Spicy Pineapple Lemonade Refresher.

This spring Starbucks is bringing the heat with new fun drinks to spice up the new season! They first added a new lavender flavor to the menu, and now they’ve added spicy lemonade too. There has also been speculation that they will add a new popping boba before the summertime. 

The new lavender flavor comes with multiple different drinks. Two particularly popular flavors are the Iced Matcha Latte with Lavender Cold Foam and the Iced Chai Latte with Lavender Cold Foam. Other new drinks are, the Lavender Creme Frappuccino blended beverage, Iced Lavender Oatmilk Latte, and the Lavender Oatmilk Chill. Starbucks describes lavender as having subtle floral notes and is usually paired with oat milk. 

The other new drinks are refreshers/lemonades and are supposed to be spicy. Starbucks describes these new refresher flavors as refreshingly sweet with a spicy kick. The new drinks consist of, Spicy Dragonfruit Lemonade Refreshers, Spicy Strawberry Lemonade Refreshers, Spicy Pineapple Lemonade Refreshers. While fruit with spice isn’t a new combo it is rather interesting to have in lemonade form. Senior Hailey Hacker said, “I didn’t try it but my mom did and she said it was just way too spicy.”

Overall the drinks have gotten mixed reviews. People either love or hate lavender thinking it is delicious or tastes like dish soap. While taste is definitely subjective and I like the flavor someone else could very easily find it repulsive. As for the new spicy drinks, people have been saying that the flavor resembles putting Tajin on fresh fruit while others say that it is nasty and that the spice is overpowering the overall power of the drinks. However, some people have expressed on social media that the drink has given them bowel issues. So drink with caution!!

One last thing avid Starbucks drinkers are very excited for is the “popping boba”. While Boba is a very popular drink it is usually hard to find good authentic boba. So having a version of it at your local Starbucks would be exciting for boba fans, especially if Starbucks does it right. Starbucks CEO Laxman Narasimhan says that Starbucks will come out with what they call “Pearls” in May. So look out for that as well!!

It is looking like a flavorful spring and summer with the Starbucks menu. Who knows if they’re going to release even more new tasty treats this season?