The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

Mental Health Month

TCDD
May is Mental Health Awareness Month!

May is mental health awareness month and since the end of the school year is approaching, many students may not be put in the best headspace. However, there are many ways to overcome thoughts and stress that may be affecting everyone. 

Mental health is something that is in constant need of attention, whether that is conscious or subconscious. According to Samhsa.gov, “Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act, and helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices.”

So many actions, events, and more can affect one’s mental health. Things like trauma, abuse, or issues with brain chemistry can affect the mental health of a person. Disorders like anxiety, bipolar, and depression are some fairly common issues that can occur because of mental health issues. And while there is no definite solution to these struggles, there are certain activities that can help to slightly diminish the effects of these issues, at least for a short period of time. 

To help manage her mental health when stress seems to take over, North senior Ruby Drainville says, “I usually use exercise like swim or a creative outlet like theater.” Finding an activity to enjoy can be a great resource or distraction when the world seems so loud. 

Having a positive well-being or positive mental health does not mean that your mental state is solved but it can mean that you are feeling better at one point. That does not mean that this can’t change over time. An article by Mind.org states, “Good mental wellbeing doesn’t mean that you’re always happy. Or that you’re unaffected by your experiences.” These experiences do not diminish one’s issue but it also does not mean you have to feel a certain way all the time. It is important to remember that every person is different and their struggles are also different. What one person may struggle with may be totally different than another person, even if they have the same illness. 

North sophomore Mikayla Haines shares how she deals with her stress and overwhelming emotions, “Honestly, I find myself bottling  my emotions but hugs and crying help.” 

Attempting to regain oneself after a difficult time can improve mental health or the symptoms of some of these issues. Some tips include finding a balanced sleep schedule, partaking in activities that are enjoyable, and taking breaks if something seems too overwhelming. While these activities cannot get rid of a mental health issue, they can help distract you from the stress you are under or the negative thoughts that are ringing through your head. 

Mental health is something that should constantly be looked after but is especially important for students during school when final exams and grades are ahead. Remembering that everything will be okay and reminding yourself to breathe is extremely important at any point of stress or negative thinking. Be kind to yourselves, Huskies, and enjoy the rest of the school year!