The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

Summer Olympics 2024

Promotional image for the Paris 2024 Games
Getty Images

It’s almost time for the largest and one of the most highly anticipated international sporting events of all time- the Olympics!

The 2024 Summer Olympic Games will take place in Paris from July 26 to August 11. Events will be held in 35 venues across Paris and its surrounding cities, with the Stade de France, France’s largest stadium, acting as the major site for the Games. However, one event, surfing, which made its Olympic debut at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, will not take place in France but in the city of Teahupo’o, Tahiti in French Polynesia, which is renowned for its surfing scene (AP news).

Along with surfing, the relatively new Olympic events of sport climbing and skateboarding will also be returning at the 2024 games. In addition, for the first time in Olympic history, breaking, or commonly known as breakdancing, will join the Olympic schedule. In total, there will be 45 sporting events played at these Paris Summer Games. 

Paris definitely rose to the challenge of creating a memorable opening ceremony with an unprecedented plan of holding the opening ceremony outside of the Olympic stadium, on the River Seine. AP news reports, “Organizers have planned a parade of about 10,500 athletes through the heart of the French capital on boats on the Seine along a 6-kilometer (3.7-mile) route…” French officials have reported intensive security measures being put into place to ensure the safety of the event, (France 24).

The selection trials to select the athletes who will compete are still ongoing, but some notable athletes so far who have qualified for a spot on Team USA include Coco Gauff in tennis and Lebron James in basketball (NBC sports).

We hope to see an exciting and eventful Olympics this summer!