The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

College Admissions Season: What To Do After Receiving An Acceptance

sparkadmissions

College admissions season is drawing to a close, bringing a plethora of both excitement and disappointment with it. With most colleges having already released their decisions by now, seniors may be feeling the upcoming pressure on what to do next as the deadline to commit to a school approaches. 

Now that you have received your hopefully favorable college results, what now?

First, you should wait for any financial aid offers from colleges. Make sure you’ve filled out the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form – the University of California (UC) priority deadline for the FAFSA has been extended to May 2nd. Read the terms of any financial aid packages you receive carefully, and calculate your out-of-pocket cost for each school.

When deciding on a school, it is important to do careful research and consider all the factors, including the cost, academics, location, and environment. Many schools have an orientation or welcome event for admitted students, and visiting the school itself can be beneficial in helping you make your decision. Otherwise, you could talk to, or look for posts and testimonials from current students of the school to get a general feel for the overall vibe of the campus and environment.

You must commit to a school by their deadline, which is generally May 1st, also known as the National College Decision date. However, the UCs and Cal States have extended their deadline to May 15th in order to account for the FAFSA processing delays. To commit to a school, colleges require you to file an intent statement and submit a non-refundable deposit. Keep in mind that in the case you were waitlisted and then admitted after already submitting your intent statement to another school, while you can withdraw and file a new statement, you will lose your deposit. 

After committing, decline offers from other schools. Check your school’s portal frequently for updates, and be on the lookout for important documents or forms you may need to submit or fill out. Congratulations on your admission, and good luck with whatever you do in the future.