The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

Main Library Youth Commission

Andrew Ross
The Main Library Youth Commission.

“Libraries are often plagued by understaffing, underuse, and lack of appreciation,” states Bibinaz Nami, a senior at John W. North. Nami is the founder of the Main Library Youth Commission (MLYC), a group of young leaders in grades ranging from seventh to twelfth, and her goal is to extend the Riverside community’s support to the library.

By partnering with the Riverside Main Library, this group of teens wishes to encourage the youth of Riverside to further utilize and appreciate the resources offered by the library. 

Libraries are often overlooked by the youth, mostly due to the advanced technology they have been exposed to. In response, Nami is determined to spread awareness about the importance of libraries so that they are never forgotten and get the appreciation they deserve.

On November 19th of 2023, the MLYC hosted a study night where high school students gathered at the library and received tutoring from student leaders in MLYC. On this day, students utilized their time to prepare for the SAT, study for upcoming finals, and complete homework with the help of their friends and tutor volunteers. The study night allowed students to make new connections while staying productive and it was very successful.

To start out the new year right, the MLYC hosted a craft night where materials were provided for attendees to create their own pins, bookmarks, and even origami. Students from all over Riverside were able to express their creativity while utilizing the Riverside Main Library.

The MLYC plans to host a St. Patrick’s Day event in March that will be the last of the 2023-2024 school year. The details are currently undisclosed but make sure to stay on the lookout because the flier, along with all of the details of the event, will be posted on the Riverside Main Library Instagram account.