The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

ByeBye MatPat

VARIETY
MatPat crying after delivering the news of his retirement from GameTheory.

Back in the 2010s, YouTube, a streaming service that requires no introduction, was heavily dominated by Lets-Players like Markiplier, Pewdiepie, or Jacksepticeye. These YouTubers focused on recording their gameplay of various games and then posting them to be streamed by millions of people. 

Then there was MatPat, a YouTuber not known for playing games but asking the true questions all gamers had: Why am I surviving five nights at Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria? MatPat and his four channels (Game Theory, Film Theory, Style Theory, and Food Theory) deserve as much praise as the aforementioned Lets-Players. Although not as popular, MatPat could be considered the hardest working YouTuber with his several hours spent trying to figure out little details hidden in a pizzeria to create a coherent story of a franchise that most likely had no real direction at the time. But as all good things come to an end, MatPat announced his retirement from his brand as he would no longer be the man screaming “It’s just a theory!” during his video titled “Goodbye Internet.”

“This has been a literal third of my life. And I’m gonna miss you. I’m gonna miss this,” said the emotional MatPat in his video.

Matthew Robert Patrick was born on November 15, 1986, in Ohio, and developed a passion for solving puzzles, mysteries, and any brain teaser he could find. Growing up, MatPat displayed an innate knack for critical thinking. Once MatPat accessed his first video game, he became deeply infatuated with video games and their storytelling. He also showed great interest in theater and pursued a degree from Duke University. His interest in theater was overshadowed by his incredible analytical skills that set the stage for his future. 

MatPat’s analytical and performance skills came in useful when he decided to make his first video back in 2011. Although poor in quality, it garnered a decent amount of attention from people who were interested in the quantum physics of Chrono Trigger. MatPat continued to make more videos about some niche mechanics and games and gathered a following on his main channel Game Theory. The release of Five Nights at Freddy’s is when MatPat’s channel exponentially grew. His videos covering the lore and inner meaning of anything he could find were thrown into a video and made into a potential theory. 

The success of Game Theory allowed him to create sister channels like Video Theory. The concept was the same, talk about some of the niche factors of a franchise and hypothesize what could come next. The only difference was now it revolved around movies and shows. MatPat’s two other sister channels, Style Theory and Food Theory, are less popular but still respectable. As its name suggests, they focus on the science of fashion and the world of culinary experiences. 

While MatPat’s announcement of retirement might have been sooner than we all expected, it is well deserved. MatPat has tirelessly worked for 13 years focusing on work before his personal life and decided he could finally take a step back so the new managers of his channels can continue on the theorist legacy.