The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

Olivia Rodrigo “GUTS” Tour

Since the release of pop star Olivia Rodrigo’s sophomore album, GUTS, fans have speculated that the 20-year-old would announce a tour singing both of her albums live to fans around the world. Rodrigo is a somewhat new artist as her first single, “drivers license”, blew up on TikTok the same year the song came out, early 2021. It was the lead single from her debut studio album, Sour, which was released in mid-2021. Sour debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart and spent f./ive weeks at the spot, becoming the longest-reigning number-one album on the charts. 

Soon after her first album dropped, Rodrigo announced “The Sour Tour”, which started on April 5, 2022, in Oregon and ended on July 7, 2022, in England. The shows were opened by Gracie Abrams, Holly Humberstone, Chappell Roan, and Baby Queen, alternating from show to show. With two legs of the tour, one being in North America and the other being in England, Rodrigo performed 49 shows in total. The “GUTS World Tour”, is set to kick off in February 2024 in Palm Springs, California, and travel across the country stopping at 60 other locations before heading over to Europe. 

Last year, Rodrigo sang 14 songs at each concert, 12 of her own, and the other two were cover songs. Olivia Rodrigo has mentioned in the past that one of her main influences in music is Avril Lavigne, which Rodrigo paid tribute to by covering one of her songs, “Complicated”. Although most of Rodrigo’s songs on Sour are on the slower, more depressing side, there are a few songs that are upbeat and more punk-rock-influenced. One of these upbeat songs is “brutal”, which she used to open each concert and is the same song she used to open the album. She keeps the same high-energy feeling going for the next song, “jealousy, jealousy”, until slowing it down to perform her first hit single, “drivers license”. 

Since the Sour tour, Olivia Rodrigo has gained much more popularity, increasing fans’ interest to go to her next tour, which in turn, causes prices for tickets to skyrocket. Pre-sale tickets for the GUTS tour went on sale September 20th on the Ticketmaster website for the American Express Early Access, and the following day, September 21st, for Verified Fans. Tickets for Rodrigo’s first tour ranged from $65 to $550 based on the location of the seats, while fans suspect this tour will have even more expensive prices.