The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

Music Industry Turned Film Industry

https://www.beaconjournal.com
A poster promoting Taylor Swifts “The Era Tour”.

Taylor Swift has done it again. Not only has she helped the economy grow in nearly every city she has visited throughout her Eras Tour with an estimated $5 billion economical impact, according to globenewswire.com, but she is not leaving any blank space in the film industry as she has just announced her new Eras Tour movie. 

Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour concert film was announced on August 31, 2023, and has since been estimated to be one of the highest-grossing films of 2023, tying Barbie: The Movie with $1.4 billion at box offices across the world. This will put her as the highest-grossing concert film in history, beating out Justin Beiber’s Never Say Never movie (forbes.com). This amazing accomplishment is not only affecting the economy but the entire film industry as well. 

Since setting the release date of Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour film to October 13, 2023, multiple films have switched their release dates from Friday the 13th to earlier in the month. Many of these films are horror films, ecstatic about releasing their films on a nationally recognized spooky day, that is until Taylor Swift took control. The reason for these switches is that many companies are worried they won’t get their full profit of their films on opening weekend, due to the high grossing of the Eras Tour film. 

A highly anticipated horror film of this year, The Exorcist: Believer, moved its release date from October 13th to October 6. One of the actors even confirmed the change was due to the electric impact of Taylor Swift. Jason Blum tweeted, “Look what you made me do. The Exorcist: Believer moves to 10/6/23,” (twitter.com). Jason Blum has also said that he was worried about competing with Taylor Swift. Through an economical lens, this new release date may be better for The Exorcist as it doesn’t have to run against Eras. 

When asked why he thinks these movies have changed their release dates, Senior Jordy Olivero says, “Everyone loves Taylor Swift and they want money too so they will be like, ‘Okay, we’ll give you your time so we don’t lose money.’” 

The Eras Tour itself has been one of the most successful music tours in history, its estimated profits being close to 5 billion dollars by the time the tour comes to an end. She has helped the economy in the U.S. through her Eras Tour with just tickets alone, as well as the reservations in hotels and transportation methods. In an interview with Local 12, President and CEO of Visit Cincy, Juile Calvert says, “The economic impact Swift creates is staggering, as fans travel from far and wide to attend her concerts, filling hotels, restaurants, and local attractions. Swift’s influence on tourism is a testament to her ability to captivate audiences and drive economic growth,”(local12.com). So when Swift announced the Eras Tour film, it is safe to say that numbers will be rising once again, and not just in the U.S. 

Sophomore Catherine Edwards shares how she feels about the economic impact Swift has made and says, “People spend a lot of money on hotels and food and transportation like Ubers and stuff like that so pretty much everywhere she’s gone has had a little boost,”. 

On September 26, 2023, Swift announced that The Eras Tour concert film would be available worldwide on October 13. Via an Instagram post on the 26th, Swift says, “The tour isn’t the only thing we’re taking worldwide…”. This will introduce a whole new economic impact to Swift’s name, and now it’s a worldwide impact. So not only does Taylor Swift have nearly the highest-grossing music tour in history, but she is on track to release the highest-grossing concert film in history. 

There is no denying the electric touch Taylor Swift has on the world. The Eras Tour film is one to watch. See it for yourself in a theater near you, it is sure to be enchanting.