The Transition from Covid to School

The entirety of the student body attended Elementary and Middle School in order to prepare themselves for the challenges of High School. I for one have many memories of my teachers​​ rebuking the class, describing how high school teachers will hold us as students to a higher standard. Through the years our standards as learners have been increasing in preparation for high school: A place where teachers are far more strict, the workload is much larger, students are exposed to a larger community of students, and many begin a new chapter within their lives. 

In 2019, as many of us are aware, covid began. School shut down for two weeks, starting on March 13, 2020, and many were overjoyed to hear they had gained a free two week break. However, things didn’t go as planned. Instead of a small two week break, we spent the rest of that year online. With no consequences for not doing the schoolwork assigned, some students did nothing. For the rest of the 2019-2020 school year, everything was extra credit. Little did we know this was just the beginning.

The following year, the district decided that the safest option during the pandemic would be to have school online; resulting in North having the majority of the 2020-2021 school year online. Since online school was new to everyone, many issues quickly arose. The entirety of the schedule was revamped, changing things on a large scale. Instead of the usual 6 classes a day, students would only have 3 extended block periods. Many eased into this new schedule, but the same couldn’t be said for others. Now that most schools are fully in person, what are the struggles of transitioning from this laid back schedule of 3 classes online, to a packed schedule with 6 periods including sports and clubs? What pressures are you facing today because of this transition? 

According to Eshal Naqvi (Junior), “the summer was not enough time for transiting from online school to in-person because in 2020 we got a summer of 6 months. We were used to a long summer break and now we have a shorter one.” Students began to feel the pressure of returning to in person school because there wasn’t enough time to recover from online classes.

Was online or in-person school before the quarantine easier? Many claim that freshman year was easier for them in person. “I also have experience with in-person (classes) freshman year so I didn’t know how online was. It felt normal to be in person.” Says Eshal.

Many of us gained positive or negative habits from quarantine that affect us today. Procrastination is a negative habit that many students have developed. Everyone was at home unable to do anything or go out. Assignments were completed early and fast because priorities were shifted. Many had the realization that work could be pushed back and completed quickly all the same. 

“I gained mainly negative habits like procrastination. I never used to procrastinate but still, we were home all the time so it was easier to complete assignments quickly. So I never spent enough time on them and waited until the last minute to complete them and instead prioritized doing fun things.” says Eshal.

Other students felt the opposite, and realized that because of all the free time they suddenly obtained, they could complete all of their assignments early, developing beneficial habits.

Many students are beginning to feel the pressure of in person school coming back from online. “I definitely feel more pressure because in person you are expected to do more and be more than an online student. It’s been harder for me to concentrate and focus in class. That expectation has been a little harder for me to adjust with” says Eshal. 

The sudden switch from an entire year of online classes to in person schooling was a big change. Many students had finally adjusted to online, learned how to focus in their classes and were ready to learn again. The switch back to in-person classes created many tired and worn out students, as many students were not used to the physical aspect of school. 

According to Kierstyn Cohen (Junior), she prefers online classes considering covid. She states, “The health and safety benefits of being online outway any possible satisfaction or pleasure I will get from in-person classes.” Kierstyn claims that she needed more time to process coming back to school because of the uncertainty of how bad covid was going to get. “By the end of the summer, I felt I needed more time to process or reconsider going online. I think more thought had to be put into the decision to go in person.” 

For some, it was hard for students online but Kierstyn believes she had a similar experience in difficulty in classes compared to in-person. Being in person the workload has not changed. The only thing that actually changed was the way the material was being taught. Many teachers found that the way they previously taught is not suitable for online learning, and are having large amounts of trouble getting their lessons across to their students. 

“Covid has exacerbated many issues that were already present in the school system and academics in general. I think they are problems that already existed but have become more obvious with the added pressure of covid,” says Kierstyn. 

During quarantine, many academically focused students like Kierstyn were stressed about choosing the academic path they wanted to take through highschool. They did not want to make the wrong decision, and with the pressure of Covid and staying safe, the options were limited. 

“The stress of staying safe and getting the same academic programs that will not be offered when I was online has been very stressful. Most of my teachers have done a good job being flexible but others want to act like everything is normal.” says Kierstyn.

Since Kierstyn went fully online last year her experience with coming back has been good and bad. “I do enjoy hanging out with my friends but it has increased anxiety and overall stress. Three of the seven teachers I had last year are from the North and I definitely miss one teacher. It was a cool experience to interact with teachers from all over the district.”

Students on campus are impacted both positively or negatively from transitioning back to in person. Regardless of their experience students have faced their own struggles but overtime to will adjust to their new reality.