The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

Changing Tides

Andrew Ross
Maya, #3, taking a shot for the goal.

Our North girl’s water polo team has had a rough season. They’re a rather small group of girls with a mix of freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, led by Junior Captain Mae Sergeant. They started the year with many fresh faces and girls who had never played a second of water polo before. Now they’re ending the season with a group of hard-working girls who have developed into a well-rounded team and are ready to get even better over the next year. 

Girls’ polo started a hard season on an 11-game losing streak. However, they persevered, and their spirits were never taken down enough to stop them from working harder and harder in the next games. They eventually found their first win against Pacific High School. “I was happy, I felt like it was well deserved, we’ve grown so much as a team and that game reflected our improvement,” Senior Hailey Hacker expressed.

After a win, the girls were eager to try their hardest against another team and possibly pull off another win. After several games, the girls pulled off a 3-game winning streak during the Five Counties Tournament. It was a much-needed win to keep the girls in good spirits for the even harder upcoming league games. Senior Hailey Hacker also discussed, “I feel like we’ve handled loss really well together and when faced with some wins we still handed it well[…]. I think those three wins in a row really taught us how to function as a team no matter what and it just gave us another new experience.”

This has been a rough season for the girls but they’ve put in the hard work and are trying their hardest to turn it around for the better, their improvement can be seen in games later in the season. They headed to league at the end of January and ended their season as strong as possible.

Next season the girls are hoping to be better than ever and have a growing team that they can use to push the program forward. They’re hoping that their shared love for the sport will encourage others to join the team and put in the same effort and dedication that the girls who are already there have. Overall the girls have a bright future ahead of them and they’re all looking forward to it.