The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

Ja Morants Unfortunate Season

Gerald Herbert
Ja Morant scoring game winning basket in his 2023 season debut against the New Orleans Pelicans

Ja Morant is one of the most explosive, athletic, and energetic point guards when it comes to playing in the National Basketball Association League. Since being selected with the second pick by the Memphis Grizzlies in the 2019 NBA Draft, he has achieved accolades such as “2019-2020 Rookie of the Year, 2021-2022 Most Improved Player, two time NBA All-Star, and All-NBA Second Team” (ESPN).  These awards show he is everything to his team. He shows up to play as much as he can for the Grizzlies every season which led to him taking them to the playoffs three straight years, 2021 through 2023. He is extremely valuable when it comes to Grizzlies basketball, but during this 2023-2024 season things have taken a turn for him. 

On May 13th 2023, Ja Morant was found holding a firearm on an Instagram livestream which sparked up many controversies regarding him as a role model. Many thought it was very foolish and unprofessional of him, leading to him getting in major trouble, especially with the NBA due to conduct detrimental and player safety. He then got suspended from the upcoming season for “25 games without pay, which at the end resulted in him losing around $7.5 million, paying around $300,000 for every game he was suspended” according to the NBA.

The 25 game suspension didn’t just impact him, but impacted his fans, teammates, and the Memphis Grizzlies organization. He is seen as their team leader and franchise player, but without him in the beginning of the season because of his unavailability to play, the Grizzlies had a rough start to the season, losing six of their first games all in a row. As Morants suspension started to finish up, the Grizzlies record wasn’t to bright with them going 6-19 without Ja until his return. 

When Morant returned on “December 19th, 2023 against the New Orleans Pelicans, he ended up scoring 34 points and the game winning layup which was the Grizzlies’ first win after a five game losing streak”. The comeback after the suspension was what the Grizzlies missed and needed. His return showed how he truly impacts the franchise and why he needs to learn from his mistakes to make sure he doesn’t get suspended again (Andscape). 

Since his return Morant started to feel comfortable being back and did what he did best by scoring and leading the Grizzlies to wins up until January 8th, 2024. On this date it was announced that Ja Morant won’t play again during the 2023-2024 season due to a “season ending surgery for a labrum tear in his shoulder” (Commercial Appeal).  This was bad news to hear considering Morant was only able to play nine games in total this season out of the total amount 82. Fans, players, coaches, and members of the NBA found this as sad news because Morant was doing excellent in his couple of games back.

John W. North Highschool student Johnathan Garcia on being asked his thoughts about Ja Morant being restricted to playing because of personal issues and injuries this season, responded with “Me personally for the second time around the 25 game suspension was a good move because previous of the new suspension he had done a similar dumb mistake twice. Injuries can’t control [any] of that so but it does suck he was taken away from what could’ve been a great season.”

Personal issues can affect players in a major way not just for them, but for family, fans, teammates and more. Injuries on the other hand, is something that is unfortunate to happen and takes away things that should have been left alone.