The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

New Disneyland Attractions: Goin’ Down the Bayou

Paul Hiffmeyer
A new Disney attraction themed around the popular Disney princess movie “The Princess and the Frog”.

Disneyland’s iconic ride, Splash Mountain, has been a favorite of Disney fans for many years but the ride is currently being re-themed. 

The new and upcoming attraction, Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, is based on The Princess and the Frog and will replace Splash Mountain.

The true reason for the re-theming of the 30-year old ride is not widely known, as it has been buried under all of the excitement. The original Splash Mountain ride received backlash due to the controversial movie the ride was based on. The 1946 film Song of the South has been criticized for featuring racial stereotypes and even glorifying life on the plantations during the Reconstruction era.

In response to the controversy, Disney planned for the new theme of the famous ride to be based on the first black Disney princess, Tiana.

The ride is expected to officially open in late 2024 at both Disneyland in California and Magic Kingdom in Florida. The news is disappointing for fans of Splash Mountain, but fans of The Princess and the Frog can’t wait to experience the bright, lively decorations accompanied by upbeat New Orleans jazz music. 

While Tiana’s Bayou Adventure is in the making, a restaurant called Tiana’s Palace has already made its way into Disneyland California as of September 7, 2023. What was once the French Market Restaurant in New Orleans Square is now Tiana’s Palace, and the new attraction is quickly gaining popularity.

Along with the Louisiana cuisine, Tiana’s Palace also has a ceramic set available for sale which features a lily pad plate and a lotus flower cup. Another creative addition to the restaurant is the Ray Firefly glow cubes that can be purchased as a fun and illuminating addition to any beverage.

Disney is creating Tiana’s Bayou Adventure in an attempt to be more inclusive, however, whether the company has done enough to “make up” for its past shortcomings is still a controversial topic between Disney fans.