The official news site of J.W. North High School

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The North Star Online

The Problems with Sampling in Music

SOUND ON SOUND
Fruity Loops Studio 20.8

There have been many occasions of sampling in music, some good and some bad. But where is the line when it comes to using it too much or  in the right ways? There really isn’t a need for sampling because if you are a musician or artist, you shouldn’t have to sample, just create something new.

Admittedly, there are a few songs that use this technique very well, such as “6 Foot 7 Foot” by Lil Wayne, “Stronger” by Kanye West, and “No Soul” by Say Anything. What makes these songs acceptable is that they use the samples in the right way. It’s not the whole song, the artist builds off of it, and makes it their own.

But how do other online websites feel about music sampling and its laws? According to octiive.com, “The truth is that there’s no “fair use” rule saying you can legally sample a little bit of someone else’s music. And what if it’s just some amateur’s little bit, somebody nobody knows and may never know? That person still owns the copyright because all art is automatically copyrighted as soon as it’s made.” Now those are the rules and laws on it, but how do students of John W. North feel about it?

I asked Laila Crawford who is in the 10th grade how she feels and her opinions on it. She says, “I feel that it can be good and bad at the same time. It depends on how and when it’s used, but normally I’m not the biggest fan of it. It also depends on how the end result is executed. It can be really bad or can be really cool and creative.” Laila is a very creative student herself and feels very passionately about the topic of sampling in music.

Another source that has spoken on the topic of sampling in music and its laws is tracklib.com. They said, “Sampling music is legal, as long as you get permission for the sample usage from the original artists, writers, and copyright owners.” But what if you illegally sample an artist’s music? As stated by nolo.com, “Failure to obtain the proper permission could lead to serious consequences, including lawsuits for money damages or the inability to distribute your music to the public.” Overall the process of sampling is a big deal, especially when getting permission. When you write your own music, that process isn’t necessary.

Now, with everything said, if you’re going to sample music give credit and get permission from whom you’ll be sampling from. As a musician and writer, if you’re going to call yourself or label yourself an artist or musician, then live up to that label. Be creative, do things your own way, express yourself, make art with your soul and heart. I’m not saying you shouldn’t, but if you do, use it wisely, don’t make it the whole thing, make it your own.