Communication Gaps Between the School District and the Community

The district, especially within the virtual setting has been struggling to communicate with families particularly regarding important COVID-19 information. This has been a constant struggle over the past almost two years, leading to a lack of clarity on policies and difficulties with registration as parents find themselves confused between schooling modalities. Things seemed to be improving, however recent policies on COVID quarantines based on vaccination status and symptom presentation have been additionally confounding.

A breakdown in communication hasn’t just led to confusion and discontent among parents. Registration rates have been unbalanced and many more students are at North than expected totaling at 2293 students as of 8/23/2021 (according to Assistant Principal Johnston) and increasing by the day. This has led to major needs for class rebalancing late into the school year, which seems particularly disruptive this chaotic year.

Teachers have also struggled within virtual learning and at times have felt unsupported by the district. “They gave me a computer, that’s it,” remarked one teacher according to sources, “I paid for my own wifi, electricity and just had to figure it out.” The transition back has been equally daunting.

From another perspective, such policies have shown the extent to which our society values the vulnerable. Despite the district’s best efforts, students and families have been inevitably left out of the conversation regarding the implementation of policies. Policies place focus on the individual and do little to protect the community and public health, and neglect to address the extent to which immune-vulnerable individuals rely on the actions of their community to protect their safety. The school district has promised to value all of its students equally, and, hopefully, as we continue in this time of danger and contamination, policies will start to value the weakest within society just as much as they value comfort and normalcy.