Returning to School During a Time of COVID-19

One of the biggest topics of the past year has been concerning COVID-19, its huge impact on schools, and on the way, they have been operating for safety reasons. The backlash of those wanting to return to school completely in person for a more interactive and reportedly more educational environment brought schools back nationwide for the 2021-2022 school year, regardless of the evident dangers in so many people being in one place at a time.

The CDC reports, “While children have been less affected by COVID-19 as compared to adults, children still can be infected with the virus…and some children develop severe illness. Children with underlying medical conditions are at an increased risk for severe illness…” While studies have shown teens are less likely to get or be super sick from COVID-19, the consequences of bringing the virus home to family can be deadly.

Three students interviewed about coming back to school during a time of COVID-19 mutually agreed that they felt safe in coming back to school presently, mostly due to being vaccinated, wearing masks, and some other restrictions placed on activities and classes.

Kierystn Cohen, a junior at John W. North High School voices, “I feel safe enough personally, but I do not feel that going to school in person is the safest option as my brother is too young to be vaccinated.” Hesitancy is a common concern among students. Kierstyn concluded with thoughts on how COVID-19 has affected her personally and as she has tried to navigate attending school, “Going back during this most recent surge of cases has been extremely stressful and anxiety-inducing, not only for my well-being but for the well-being of those around me.”

Many students were disappointed to discover that school would be returning in-person full-time, instead of opting for the previously implemented block system that ensured only half of the school population was on campus at one time. “I think we should be on a block schedule with half of the students attending half of the days. This will prevent crowding in both individual classes and in the halls during passing periods. It would also limit the number of people we are interacting with, protecting us from COVID exposures,” reasoned Kierstyn.

On the other hand, some students were assured by the full six-period schedule. Kaylie Lopez, another junior at North felt, “the way things are, befit us more as students (than a block schedule). We are able to learn all the material we need to do well in our tests and finals. Especially for those of us taking IB or AP.” Both block and traditional schedules have valid arguments for and against, with the surge of cases and the rough transition from online to in-person schooling.

Coming back to school while still being attentive to the dangers of COVID-19 has caused much concern, particularly as reported cases at North keep increasing. The numbers may go up but there are no signs yet of any schools shutting down. RUSD has been trying to manage cases by making those exposed go into a multi-day quarantine.

Whether or not returning to school is the best choice, there are dangers regardless of the decision and consequences that will follow. For now, we can only wait for the next news and try our best to stay safe and keep our community healthy.