Angelica’s Column: Going back to school

March 19, 2021

With the Covid-19 cases dropping in Riverside, the idea of high school students going back to school is becoming more and more of a reality. All over Instagram, many are able to see students posting and speaking out about their opinion on this matter. So far the opinions are seemingly split. Some students are ecstatic to be going back while others are dreading the idea. 

At first, I was on the side of those who were dreading the idea. I dreaded waking up early again, having to get dressed out of my comfortable pajamas and going to a school where most of my close friends won’t have the same schedules as me. Another big scare for me was my home situation. With my mother expecting a child, she is now at risk for Covid-19 and my going to school only makes the possibility of her getting sick higher. 

However, recently I got a message from Kylie Murphy, North’s athletic trainer. She asked if a few of us were willing to come on campus and help her with the school games acting as team managers. I agreed to help out and the moment I stepped on campus, all my worries about returning to in-person school suddenly melted away. Our school has done a very good job at making the campus safe. To enter the campus you must first walk through a classroom. This classroom has a computer that is able to check your temperature as you walk in. Once you pass the screening, having a temperature below 100 degrees Fahrenheit, you are given a wristband to show that you have passed. Then once on the school campus, there are hand sanitizer stations every few feet! You are also able to see many of the school’s janitorial staff constantly sanitizing the campus. With these small changes, our school has made the campus that much safer for its students and I look forward to returning to campus.  

One big thing that hasn’t changed is the mood and overall environment of our campus. The moment you step on campus, you suddenly feel like you are home. Coming back to school isn’t all about just seeing friends again but also about being able to get the learning we students deserve. We just have to remember that we are in the middle of a pandemic and many school district members and staff are simply trying their best to bring us a sense of normalcy again.