MENU

Athlete of the Month

Athletic director Steve Bernard announced the three outstanding athletes of the month on Nov. 2. These students were picked because of their dedication and performance within their respective sports for the month of October.

Chosen from girls golf, water polo and girls tennis, junior Gabrielle Genovea, junior Junho Hwang and senior Megan Tagaloa were honored in the athletic office during fourth period.

During this fall season Genovea went up against the top players in the league for a chance to win the Inland Valley League individual’s title and move on to the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) preliminary round for golf. By placing top six she was granted first-team all league for the 2017-2018 school year.

Hwang along with his other teammates defeated Katella High School with a score of 6-9 in their wild card game, which determined their slot in CIF. He has been on the varsity team since freshman year making him one of the most experienced returners at North for this season. In the first round of CIF they played against Beaumont High School on Nov. 2 in Cherry Valley. The non-conference game ended with a score of 10-13 favoring the Beaumont Cougars.

“To be a successful varsity athlete [you have to] go to practice and work hard. As for your mental state, always go into every game thinking that you’re going to win,” said Hwang.

The 2017-2018 school year marks Tagaloa’s fourth year and final year on varsity tennis. Throughout the fall season, she consistently finished games 6-0 dominating her opponents. In the individual competition she took first place in the Inland Valley League and eventually moved on to CIF. Although she did not move on to the second round of CIF she took home a patch for first-team all league.