MENU
Filed under What's Happening?

Red Cross Blood Drive

On Oct. 31 Red Cross held their annual blood drive in the gym from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Around 120 students signed up to donate blood to the American Red Cross. There were 104 people who actually donated blood at the blood drive.

Red Cross club members who turned in five donor applications were allowed to participate to work the blood drive. The volunteers helped check in the donors and get them food before they donated blood. When donors were released, the volunteers also checked them out so they could return to class.

Students who wanted to donate blood had to sign and turn in a permission slip to Enrique Sanchez, the advisor of the Red Cross on North’s campus. Students could only participate if they were 16 or older. There were also many North staff members willing to donate blood alongside the students.

A couple officers of the Red Cross club put together passes for the donors to remind them of their appointment time. These passes were given out in the first periods of each donor by the volunteers helping with the drive.

By donating a pint of blood, donors saved three lives, received community service, snacks and a t-shirt. Donors who gave a whole blood donation were promised an In-N-Out Double Double burger in the Red Cross Luncheon.

All food was provided by the Red Cross to encourage donors to eat before donating, decreasing chances of fainting.

“One remarkable thing was our school, our peers coming together to donate blood [so] that [we] can save lives. I would love to participate again because it is for a good cause. You’re helping to save a person’s life and I had an experience where a donor donated blood to save my mother’s life and I’m thankful for that. I felt like I made a difference in the world and even though it wasn’t a large amount every little thing counts,” said junior Sarah Godinez.