MENU

Ineligibility causes North football to forfeit five games, still competing in CIF

Photograph by Bryan Gworek

Photograph by Bryan Gworek

Photograph by Bryan Gworek

Caleb Ragan, Editor-in-Chief

A bothersome ineligibility issue looms over North football team’s victory against cross-town rival Riverside Poly High School and the future of their California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section (CIF-SS) post-season. The team was forced to forfeit its five victories it obtained during the season due to CIF rules. According to athletic director Steve Bernard, the football team had an ineligible player in rotation during season.

“When these things happen – they happen – you see it, you realize the mistake was made and you immediately do what you need to do which is report it to CIF,” said Bernard, continuing on that if he wouldn’t have caught the mistake, “It would’ve not only been an issue with CIF but it would’ve been an issue with the credibility of this school, it would’ve also been an issue with the credibility of this administration.”

According to Bernard when he originally went through the roster at the end of the official quarter on Nov. 7, all of the players listed were in coherence with CIF eligibility rules.

However once Bernard went through all of the athletes grades himself, he noticed a player who didn’t make the grade qualifications for CIF.  

“We thoroughly picked through every kid’s grade and every little element to make sure that we had no mistakes. When a kid popped up that wasn’t supposed to be there, then we realized we had a mistake and had to go forward with that.”

Because the CIF office had already received North’s entry into the playoffs before Bernard self-reported the issue, the Huskies will still be playing in the first round of CIF in compliance with CIF rules.

CIF bylaw 3211 B states, “From the time the CIF Southern Section Office receives the entries from the league, violations discovered will be assessed against the individual(s) and will not affect the advancement of a team into the playoffs.”

There will be no repercussions affecting the eligibility of the team to compete post-season and whatever games it wins will count as victories. However the ineligible player will not be allowed to compete post-season.

“Its an unfortunate situation that the kids are dealing with but we are just moving on,” Dubois said.

In an internal text message to the team Dubois said, “What happened stays within our family. Stay off social media, do not post or tweet. Focus on [Grand Terrace] and don’t let this be a distraction. Win.”

The football team will face Grand Terrace High School in their first round of CIF on Nov. 11.