MENU

Golf completes season

Gabrielle Genovea

The varsity girl’s golf team played their last league match on Thursday Oct. 13.  The match was held at North’s home course at Canyon Crest Country Club where they played against Riverside Poly High School.  North lost to Poly 323-267.  The girls finished off the 2016 season 2-8 in the Inland Valley League.

This year there were 11 girls on the team with head coach Rolland Fezzey.  This included seniors Irma Mariano, Arlette Rodriguez and Ashley Guzman, juniors Jordyn O’Rourke, Alejandra Rivas, Solimar Villela, Megan Wade and Cristina Blanco, sophomores Shelby Crawford and Gabrielle Genovea along with freshman Samantha Sinclair.  There were more girls on this year’s team than there have been in the last three years.  The girls played matches against Arlington, Canyon Springs, Rancho Verde, Valley View and Poly.  

At each match six girls from each team were distributed into four groups.  Only nine holes are played and the team with the lowest score wins that particular match.  The game relies on each player’s integrity as they relay their scores to one another.

Many of the golf teams in North’s league were composed of mostly new players. North had six returners. The girl’s golf team at North is still fairly new and has just completed their fourth year.

“This season was a little unpredictable.  I did not know how strong the league would be after [a] number of seniors [left] the Inland Valley Golf  Program,” Fezzey said. “It turns out that the league title was up for grabs and there was no clear favorite to win.”     

During the team’s match against Rancho Verde North won with a score of 304-324. This match was played at General Old golf course on Oct. 12. The lowest score of the match was a 47 from Genovea. Genovea and Sinclair attended league finals on Oct. 18.  

The team as a whole improved greatly with scores ranging from around 67-72 at the beginning of the season.  As the matches progressed the team polished up their game getting them down into the low 60s by the fourth game.

“I had a really fun experience on the team this year. I feel that we really bonded and grew closer as friends on and off the golf course,” said Rivas. “The match that stood out more to me this year was our last match. We played against Poly and had a fun time enjoying our last match of the season. I felt that it was a less stressful match because it was the last one.”

Next year Fezzey expects to have a stronger team with more experienced players due to the fact that the team has few seniors. The underclassmen will have more time to prepare for the upcoming season in 2017 and will be able to continue to improve their scores.

“The matches that stood out to me were the ones where we had fun with our [competitors] because that proves to me that we can have fun … but still be competitive,” said Sinclair. “[For next year] I plan to have as much fun as I did the previous year and make memories while also trying my best to lower my score throughout the season.”