MENU

Cross-country ends season

Peyton Ramirez

On Oct. 12 the cross-country team competed in their second league meet at Lake Perris against the other five teams in the Inland Valley League. Both the boys and the girls teams improved from their first showing in league at Andulka Park in September, placing fourth and fifth in their individual three mile races.

“As a team we redeemed ourselves… we really trained hard for that race because it was a difficult course but we were prepared and we came to that meet very confident in ourselves and we did our job,” junior Raul Ibarra said.

Despite the steady improvement of the boys team, the Rancho Verde High School Mustangs dominated the meet, as their top five placed 1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th and 16th. The North pack failed to infiltrate the top 10 placing and the gap between their first and fifth runners furthered their loss.

The top North runner, freshmen Nathan Ambriz, finished the race in 14th place with a time of 16:38. He was quickly followed in by junior Nathan Downey at 16:53, senior Caleb Ragan at 17:01 and junior Andres Michel at 17:07, placing 17th, 20th and 23rd place respectively. Ibarra however came in 42 seconds later at 17:49, in 32nd place.

In the girls’ race, the Riverside Poly High School Bears took first place with a mere 38 points, followed by Rancho Verde with 41 points and Canyon Springs High School with 51 points. The Huskies finished farther behind in last with 123 points.

Sophomore Maria Rojas was the first finisher out of the girls team coming in 13th place with a time of 20:33.

“Well it was very difficult but amazing. I was very confident along with the rest of my team. When we were getting tired the others would help catch us up.  We all had a great time and a difficult but fulfilling experience,”  Rojas said.

Sophomore Devony Quiddam was the next Husky to finish, taking 20th place with a time of 21:45. Sophomore Kiayra Holmes took 30th place, running three miles in 23:20. Freshman Siera Selter took 32nd place, with a time of 23:29. Senior Amanda Britton ran the race in 26:11, taking 34th place.

“[We need to work on] pushing each other harder and collaborating more…sticking together, work on shaving off time and just keeping a positive mindset at practice and during the race,” Quiddam said.

“We did great as a team, we went from being fifth place out of six in the first league meet to fourth, and we are just 50 points away from getting to third and qualifying to go to CIF prelims,”  Ibarra said.

On Oct. 15 the Huskies competed at the Inland Empire Challenge at Glen Helen Regional Park in Rancho Cucamonga. The boys took eighth place out of the 17 teams in the Joe Reynolds varsity race while the girls took second place in the junior varsity race.

“We came into the second league meet with a bad mindset and that affected us as a team, so after the meet we were working harder to prepare for our next meet… we did a lot better and were more focused and determined to do better [at the Inland Empire Challenge],” junior Antonio Mata said.

Ambriz came in with a blistering time of 16:13 and took ninth place overall. His time places him as one of the fastest freshmen in Riverside County, giving him all-county status.