MENU

Girls Tennis

On Oct. 14 the girls tennis team played against Poly High School in their second home game. The team lost to Poly 16-2 with 9-0 doubles and 6-2 singles.

Junior Megan Tagaloa beat her opponent from Poly 6-3 in their singles match.  Freshman Naya Barnes also beat her opponent.

Junior Megan Tagaloa, freshman Naya Barnes and senior Sofia Goebel competed for the Huskies in singles. Tagaloa won her first match with a score of 6-3 and lost her second and third games with scores of 1-6 and 3-6. Barnes lost her first and second matches 0-6. She won her last match with a score of 6-0. Goebel lost her first game 0-6. Junior Jiwon Shin substituted for Goebel in the second round and lost with a score of 0-6. In Goebel’s third round freshman Patricia Weathersby substituted for her and lost with a score of 0-6.

In doubles the number one pair consisted of seniors Kaini Chen and Catherine Xu. The number two pair was senior Angelica Carbajal and junior Soo Jee Lee. The number three pair consisted of seniors Crystal Chow and Quinn Douhan.

Chen and Xu lost their three games with scores of 3-6, 0-6 and 4-6 respectively. Carbajal and Lee lost their three games 2-6. Chow and Douhan lost their three games with respective scores of 4-6, 4-6 and 1-6.

“[The tennis season has been] very good. We are playing very well and everybody’s playing within their potential,” said head coach Scott Harris. “We’ve got a very strong singles player, Megan Tagaloa. We’ve got a veteran doubles line up. Five of our six doubles players are all seniors and the sixth is a junior.”

Tagaloa lost all three games to Poly in North’s first match against them. At this match Tagaloa won one of the games against Poly. This marks her improvement over the course of the season.

The team is very supportive of one another during their games. “The team is really strong in the aspect that we support and love one another no matter what. Our spirit in the team and in each other is what helps us succeed,” said Douhan. “At games if anyone is done with their match they cheer on the other matches that are still going on. [We are always] encouraging them and letting them know that they hit a good shot or that they are doing a good job.”

Poly is a competitive force in the Inland Valley League.

“Poly has always been our rival. We already have that [mindset that] we are going to lose [every match] against them because they usually always beat us and other schools,” said freshman Frida Rodriguez.

Tennis has won all of their league matches this season except for the matches against Poly. Girls tennis is currently 5-2 in league. If the team beats Arlington in their next match on Oct. 21 they will be second in league.